Monday, January 23, 2006

I Hate Spleens Too

Kim, at Emergiblog writes about an experience she had with a sickly spleen. I am rather vigilant with patients who may not have a spleen. They get sick so quickly. So any patients who has had abdominal surgery get extra attention coming their way.

An interesting trend I noticed. Most patients don't know if they've had their spleen removed during their old surgery. I usually make it a priority to know what vital organs I no longer have, I think you should adopt this sage advice. Oh, and good nurses aren't made that way by studying at home...and...you really do have to have at least a highschool diploma:

Be a nurse and make good money....why gosh it never occurred to me to be a nurse until I picked up these matches!

Kim has more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lack of spleen can lead to OPSI (Overwhelming Post-Spleenectomy Infection), an otherwise normal infection, typically bacterial, spins out of control occasionally in any patient without a spleen. You may learn more about it by searching these terms. Good luck.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous About Medicine Blog said...

Most patients don't know if they've had their
spleen removed during their old surgery.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home